
你的“前额叶皮层未发育完全”成了新的替罪羊
Your 'Undeveloped Prefrontal Cortex' — The Internet's New Excuse for Bad Decisions
HSK 3 Chinese listening practice. Why social media blames the prefrontal cortex for bad choices — temper, regret, and the line between science and excuse.
This is an HSK 3-4 Chinese listening episode that runs about 7 minutes. The full Mandarin script is shown with tap-for-pinyin and a line-by-line English translation, so you can listen and read at once — comprehensible input in the sense of Stephen Krashen's i+1 theory. It teaches 12 key vocabulary words such as 前额叶皮层、发育、替罪羊 and walks through 5 grammar patterns, each explained in English with examples. The same news story is retold at 4 difficulty levels — use the level selector above to find the version that is challenging but still understandable for you.
说到年轻人为什么会做错事,最近很多人喜欢把问题推给大脑。
Speaking of why young people make mistakes, recently many people like to blame it on the brain.
你在网上可能经常看到这样一个词。
You've probably often seen a certain term online.
这个词叫“前额叶皮层”。
This term is called "prefrontal cortex."
听起来非常科学,对不对?
It sounds very scientific, right?
其实它是我们大脑里的一个部分。
Actually, it's a part of our brain.
这个部分在我们大脑的最前面。
This part is at the very front of our brain.
它非常重要,因为它是帮我们做决定的。
It's very important because it helps us make decisions.
如果你要计划一件事情,就需要用到它。
If you want to plan something, you need to use it.
如果你想控制自己的脾气,也需要用到它。
If you want to control your temper, you also need to use it.
科学家说,这个部分发育得很慢。
Scientists say this part develops very slowly.
很多人到了二十五岁以后,它才发育完全。
For many people, it doesn't fully develop until after age twenty-five.
所以,很多年轻人找到了一个很好的借口。
So many young people have found a great excuse.
他们犯错的时候,就不觉得是自己的问题了。
When they make mistakes, they don't feel it's their own problem.
他们会说,我的前额叶皮层还没有发育好。
They say, my prefrontal cortex hasn't fully developed yet.
这就像给自己的错误找了一个替罪羊。
It's like finding a scapegoat for their own mistakes.
我们来看看生活中的一些例子。
Let's look at some examples from daily life.
比如说,有一个大学生在网上买了很多东西。
For example, a college student bought a lot of things online.
他把一个月的生活费都花光了。
He spent all of his monthly living expenses.
然后他没有钱吃饭了。
Then he had no money to eat.
如果是在以前,他可能会觉得很后悔。
In the past, he might have felt very regretful.
他会觉得自己太乱花钱了。
He would have felt he spent money too recklessly.
但是现在,他可能会发一个朋友圈。
But now, he might post on social media.
他说,这不能怪我。
He says, you can't blame me.
是因为我的大脑还没有长好。
It's because my brain hasn't fully grown yet.
我的前额叶皮层不知道怎么控制花钱。
My prefrontal cortex doesn't know how to control spending.
另外,还有很多年轻人在感情里也这样。
Also, many young people act this way in relationships too.
如果他们对男朋友或者女朋友发了很大的脾气。
If they lose their temper badly at their boyfriend or girlfriend.
他们说了一些很伤人的话。
They said some very hurtful things.
事后他们可能不会马上道歉。
Afterward, they might not apologize right away.
他们反而会说,我的大脑还在发育。
Instead, they say, my brain is still developing.
所以我控制不住自己的情绪。
So I can't control my emotions.
这种说法在网上越来越流行。
This kind of excuse is becoming more and more popular online.
大家不但不觉得丢脸,而且觉得很有意思。
Not only do people not feel embarrassed, they actually find it amusing.
好像只要搬出科学名词,错误就被消除了。
As if simply invoking a scientific term makes the mistake disappear.
但是,这种想法真的对吗?
But is this way of thinking really correct?
虽然科学家说大脑在二十五岁才发育好。
Although scientists say the brain doesn't fully develop until age twenty-five.
但是这不代表二十五岁以前的人不知道对错。
That doesn't mean people under twenty-five don't know right from wrong.
十几岁的人其实已经知道什么是好的。
Teenagers actually already know what is good.
他们也知道什么是坏的。
They also know what is bad.
你不能把所有的问题都推给大脑。
You can't push all your problems onto the brain.
如果你总是这样做,就会有一个很大的问题。
If you always do this, there will be a big problem.
这个问题就是,你永远长不大。
The problem is that you'll never grow up.
我们的大脑是非常聪明的。
Our brains are very smart.
它是怎么发育的呢?
How does it develop?
大脑是通过我们做事情来学习的。
The brain learns through our actions and experiences.
如果你做错了一件事,你觉得很难过。
If you did something wrong and feel very sad about it.
然后你告诉自己下次不能这样了。
Then you tell yourself you can't do this again next time.
这个时候,你的大脑就在学习。
At that moment, your brain is learning.
你的前额叶皮层就会变得更强大。
Your prefrontal cortex becomes stronger.
但是,如果你马上给自己找借口。
But if you immediately make excuses for yourself.
你说这不是我的错,是大脑的错。
You say it's not my fault, it's the brain's fault.
那么你的大脑就失去了学习的机会。
Then your brain loses the opportunity to learn.
它不会去记住这个教训。
It won't remember this lesson.
下次遇到一样的情况,你还是会做错。
Next time you encounter the same situation, you'll still make the wrong choice.
我们可以比较一下现在和以前的年轻人。
We can compare today's young people with those from the past.
以前的年轻人比现在的年轻人更早承担责任。
Young people in the past took on responsibilities earlier than today's young people.
很多以前的人十八岁就开始工作了。
Many people in the past started working at eighteen.
他们不但要照顾自己,而且要照顾家人。
They not only had to take care of themselves, but also their families.
他们的大脑难道比我们现在的更早发育吗?
Did their brains develop earlier than ours today?
其实不是的,大家的大脑都是一样的。
Actually no, everyone's brains are the same.
区别在于环境和责任。
The difference lies in environment and responsibility.
以前的人没有“前额叶皮层没发育好”这个借口。
People in the past didn't have the excuse of "undeveloped prefrontal cortex."
他们做错了事情,就必须自己解决。
When they made mistakes, they had to solve them on their own.
所以他们学得很快,成熟得也很快。
So they learned fast and matured fast.
现在的生活条件比以前好太多了。
Living conditions now are much better than before.
年轻人的压力其实没有以前那么大。
Young people's pressure is actually not as great as before.
所以大家有更多的时间去关注自己。
So everyone has more time to focus on themselves.
为什么这种科学借口在网上这么火呢?
Why is this scientific excuse so popular online?
因为短视频每天都在给我们讲这些。
Because short videos tell us about these things every day.
短视频喜欢把复杂的问题变得很简单。
Short videos like to simplify complex problems.
它们告诉你,你总是生气是因为大脑没长好。
They tell you that you always get angry because your brain hasn't fully grown.
你总是迟到也是因为大脑没长好。
You're always late also because your brain hasn't fully grown.
这让很多人听了觉得很舒服。
This makes many people feel comfortable hearing it.
因为承认自己错了是一件痛苦的事情。
Because admitting you're wrong is a painful thing.
把责任推给身体的某一个部分就轻松多了。
Pushing responsibility onto a body part is much easier.
这就像你考试没考好。
It's like when you didn't do well on a test.
你不说自己没复习,你说笔不好用。
You don't say you didn't study; you say the pen was bad.
但是,我们要小心这种舒服的感觉。
But we should be careful about this comfortable feeling.
如果你习惯了逃避责任,后果会很严重。
If you get used to avoiding responsibility, the consequences will be serious.
在工作里,老板不会管你的大脑发育了没有。
At work, your boss won't care whether your brain has developed or not.
老板只看你能不能把工作做好。
The boss only cares whether you can do the job well.
如果你把重要的事情搞砸了。
If you mess up something important.
然后你跟老板说,我的前额叶皮层没发育好。
Then you tell your boss, my prefrontal cortex hasn't fully developed.
你肯定会被老板开除的。
You'll definitely be fired by your boss.
你的朋友也可能会被你气走。
Your friends might also be driven away by you.
朋友可以原谅你一次两次。
Friends can forgive you once or twice.
但是如果你总是伤害别人还不认错。
But if you always hurt others and refuse to admit fault.
最后大家都会离开你。
Eventually everyone will leave you.
其实,二十五岁不是一个神奇的数字。
Actually, twenty-five is not a magical number.
不是说你今天二十四岁什么都不懂。
It doesn't mean you know nothing at twenty-four.
明天过了二十五岁生日就突然变聪明了。
And then suddenly become smart after your twenty-fifth birthday.
大脑的成长是一个非常长的过程。
Brain growth is a very long process.
在这个过程里,你需要不断地练习。
In this process, you need to keep practicing.
每一次你自己做决定,都是在锻炼大脑。
Every time you make a decision on your own, you're exercising your brain.
每一次你勇敢地承认错误,也是在锻炼大脑。
Every time you bravely admit a mistake, you're also exercising your brain.
就像你去健身房锻炼身体一样。
It's just like going to the gym to exercise your body.
你不去举重,你的肌肉就不会变大。
If you don't lift weights, your muscles won't grow.
你不去负责任,你的大脑就不会成熟。
If you don't take responsibility, your brain won't mature.
所以,当我们再听到这个词的时候。
So when we hear this term again.
我们可以笑一笑,但是不要把它当真。
We can have a laugh, but don't take it seriously.
科学知识是为了帮我们了解自己。
Scientific knowledge is meant to help us understand ourselves.
不是为了给我们找退路的。
It's not meant to give us an escape route.
知道自己的大脑还在发育,是一件好事。
Knowing that your brain is still developing is a good thing.
这说明我们还有很大的进步空间。
It means we still have a lot of room for improvement.
我们可以告诉自己,我以后会做得更好。
We can tell ourselves, I'll do better in the future.
如果你的脾气很急,就多练习深呼吸。
If you have a quick temper, practice deep breathing more.
如果你喜欢乱花钱,就把钱交给家人管。
If you like spending money recklessly, let your family manage your money.
想办法去解决问题,而不是找借口。
Find ways to solve problems instead of making excuses.
年轻人犯错其实是非常正常的事情。
It's actually very normal for young people to make mistakes.
没有人要求你一开始就什么都做对。
No one expects you to do everything right from the start.
重要的是你犯错以后的态度。
What matters is your attitude after making a mistake.
你要把责任扛在自己的肩膀上。
You need to carry the responsibility on your own shoulders.
只有这样,你才能真正变成一个大人。
Only then can you truly become an adult.
Used to describe biological growth and maturation, especially of body parts or organs. In the episode, it refers to the brain's development process.
A reason given to justify a fault or avoid responsibility. A central concept in this episode - young people use brain development as an excuse for bad behavior.
To have power over something, to restrain. Used throughout the episode in the context of controlling emotions and impulses.
One's tendency to become angry. The episode gives examples of young people losing their temper and blaming it on brain development.
To do something wrong. The episode discusses how young people handle their mistakes differently now compared to the past.
To become fully developed, either physically or mentally. The episode contrasts brain maturity with personal maturity.
Physical or mental training. The episode uses the gym analogy - just as muscles need exercise, the brain needs to be trained through responsible decision-making.
To feel sorry about something that has happened. The episode contrasts how people used to feel regret after mistakes versus now blaming the brain.
The front part of the brain responsible for decision-making, planning, and impulse control. Scientists say it doesn't fully develop until around age 25.
Literally 'substitute-guilt-goat.' Someone or something that takes the blame for others' mistakes. The episode argues the prefrontal cortex has become young people's new scapegoat.
To accept and carry out one's duties or obligations. The episode argues young people should take responsibility rather than blame their brains.
To run away from something, especially responsibilities. The episode warns against using science as a way to evade personal accountability.
* beyond level超纲词
不但...而且... (bùdàn...érqiě...)
This structure means 'not only...but also...' and is used to connect two related clauses where the second adds to or intensifies the first. It's a progressive compound sentence pattern.
大家不但不觉得丢脸,而且觉得很有意思。(Not only do people not feel embarrassed, they actually find it amusing.)
他们不但要照顾自己,而且要照顾家人。(They not only had to take care of themselves, but also their families.)
如果...就... (rúguǒ...jiù...)
This conditional pattern means 'if...then...' and is used to express hypothetical situations and their results. It appears frequently throughout the episode to present scenarios.
如果你总是这样做,就会有一个很大的问题。(If you always do this, there will be a big problem.)
如果你习惯了逃避责任,后果会很严重。(If you get used to avoiding responsibility, the consequences will be serious.)
虽然...但是... (suīrán...dànshì...)
This concessive pattern means 'although...but...' and is used to acknowledge one fact while presenting a contrasting point. Unlike English, Chinese uses both 'although' and 'but' in the same sentence.
虽然科学家说大脑在二十五岁才发育好,但是这不代表二十五岁以前的人不知道对错。(Although scientists say the brain doesn't fully develop until 25, that doesn't mean people under 25 don't know right from wrong.)
比...更... (bǐ...gèng...)
This comparative structure means 'more...than...' and is used to make comparisons between two things, emphasizing that one surpasses the other in some quality.
以前的年轻人比现在的年轻人更早承担责任。(Young people in the past took on responsibilities earlier than today's young people.)
现在的生活条件比以前好太多了。(Living conditions now are much better than before.)
是...的 (shì...de) for emphasis
This cleft sentence structure is used to emphasize a particular aspect of a past or known event, such as the manner, time, place, or reason. It highlights information the speaker considers important.
大脑是通过我们做事情来学习的。(The brain learns through our actions and experiences.)
科学知识是为了帮我们了解自己。(Scientific knowledge is meant to help us understand ourselves.)