说到人工智能帮我们做决定这件事,我想请大家先想象一个画面。Speaking of AI helping us make decisions, I would like to ask everyone to imagine a scene first.
这是一个星期五的晚上,你工作了一周,感觉很累。It is a Friday evening, you have worked for a week, and you feel very tired.
你想出去吃一顿好吃的,但是你不想花时间去找餐厅。You want to go out for a nice meal, but you don't want to spend time looking for a restaurant.
于是,你拿出了手机,让你的AI助手帮你订一家餐厅。So, you take out your phone and ask your AI assistant to help you book a restaurant.
你告诉它,只要是周五晚上有座位的、评价好的餐厅就可以。You tell it that any restaurant with seats on Friday night and good reviews will do.
AI很快就开始工作了,它的速度非常快。The AI starts working immediately, and its speed is very fast.
它在一秒钟内就检查了网上所有的评论。Within one second, it checks all the reviews on the internet.
它比较了不同餐厅的分数,还看了很多照片。It compares the scores of different restaurants and looks at many photos.
最后,它帮你订了一家在这个城市里非常有名的餐厅。Finally, it books a very famous restaurant in this city for you.
这家餐厅是你很多朋友都去过的地方。This restaurant is a place many of your friends have been to.
他们在朋友圈里发过这家餐厅的照片。They have posted photos of this restaurant in their social media feeds.
你去了那里,发现那里的灯光很漂亮,菜也很好吃。You go there and find that the lighting is beautiful and the food is delicious.
一切看起来都很完美,服务也很周到。Everything looks perfect, and the service is very attentive.
但是,当你坐在那里吃的时候,你可能会有一种奇怪的感觉。However, when you are sitting there eating, you might have a strange feeling.
你可能会觉得,这顿饭虽然好吃,但是好像在哪里吃过。You might feel that although the meal is tasty, it seems like you have eaten it somewhere before.
这种感觉非常普通,没有什么特别的惊喜。This feeling is very ordinary, without any special surprises.
其实,这不仅仅是你一个人的感觉。Actually, this is not just your feeling alone.
这看起来是一件小事,因为AI只是在帮你做一个简单的决定。This looks like a small matter because the AI is just helping you make a simple decision.
我们觉得这很方便,因为我们不需要自己去想。We feel this is convenient because we don't need to think for ourselves.
但是,最近有一些科学家发现,这可能是一个大问题。However, some scientists recently discovered that this might be a big problem.
哥伦比亚大学有一位教授,她的名字叫桑德拉·马茨。There is a professor at Columbia University named Sandra Matz.
她和她的团队做了一个非常重要的研究。She and her team conducted a very important study.
她认为,当我们让AI帮我们做决定的时候,我们失去了一些东西。She believes that when we let AI help us make decisions, we lose something.
我们不仅仅是把找餐厅这个任务交给了AI。We are not just handing over the task of finding a restaurant to AI.
我们可能把“我们是谁”这个重要的问题也交给了AI。We might also be handing over the important question of "who we are" to AI.
这位教授把这种现象叫做“变得无聊的效果”。This professor calls this phenomenon the "becoming boring effect."
她的研究发现,当AI帮我们要买什么、看什么、做什么的时候,我们会变。Her research found that when AI helps us decide what to buy, what to watch, and what to do, we change.
我们虽然变得更有效率了,做事更快了,但我们也变得更像了。Although we become more efficient and do things faster, we also become more alike.
也就是说,大家的区别变得越来越小了。That is to say, the differences between everyone become smaller and smaller.
为了证明这一点,教授和她的学生们做了一个很大的调查。To prove this point, the professor and her students conducted a large survey.
他们研究了一千个真实的社交媒体用户。They studied one thousand real social media users.
他们分析了这些人做的一千一百万个选择。They analyzed eleven million choices made by these people.
这是一个非常大的数字,所以结果很值得我们相信。This is a very large number, so the results are worth believing.
研究人员比较了三种不同的情况。The researchers compared three different situations.
第一种情况是,人们完全靠自己做决定,不用任何电脑帮忙。The first situation is where people rely completely on themselves to make decisions, without any computer help.
第二种情况是,使用一个普通的AI助手来帮忙做决定。The second situation is using a regular AI assistant to help make decisions.
这个普通的AI不了解你的个人喜好,它只是根据大众的数据来推荐。This regular AI doesn't understand your personal preferences; it just recommends based on general public data.
第三种情况是,使用一个个性化的AI助手。The third situation is using a personalized AI assistant.
这个AI非常了解你,它知道你以前喜欢什么,不喜欢什么。This AI understands you very well; it knows what you liked and didn't like in the past.
研究人员并不是要看AI选的东西好不好。The researchers were not looking at whether the things AI chose were good or not.
他们主要看的是人们的选择有什么特点。They mainly looked at the characteristics of people's choices.
他们想知道,你的选择和别人的选择有多大的不同。They wanted to know how different your choices were from others' choices.
他们还想知道,你自己的选择是不是总是变来变去,还是总是一样的。They also wanted to know if your own choices were always changing or always the same.
研究的结果非常清楚,甚至让人有点吃惊。The results of the study were very clear, even a bit surprising to people.
无论是普通的AI还是个性化的AI,它们都有一个共同的问题。Whether it is regular AI or personalized AI, they both have a common problem.
它们都会让人们选择那些最流行、最普通的东西。They both cause people to choose the most popular and ordinary things.
当我们使用AI的时候,我们的选择就没有那么特别了。When we use AI, our choices become less special.
普通的AI会让所有人的选择都变得差不多。Regular AI makes everyone's choices become more or less the same.
因为它总是推荐那些统计数据上最受欢迎的东西。Because it always recommends the things that are most popular according to statistical data.
比如说,如果大家都喜欢听流行音乐,AI就会给你推荐流行音乐。For example, if everyone likes listening to pop music, AI will recommend pop music to you.
它觉得大家都喜欢的,肯定就是最好的。It thinks that what everyone likes must be the best.
所以,最后的结果是,大家的爱好都变得一样了。So, the final result is that everyone's hobbies become the same.
那么,那些了解你的个性化AI呢?Then, what about those personalized AIs that understand you?
很多人觉得,个性化的AI应该会更好吧。Many people think that personalized AI should be better.
因为它知道我喜欢什么,它会给我推荐适合我的东西。Because it knows what I like, and it will recommend things that suit me.
但是,研究发现,个性化的AI也有一个很大的缺点。However, the study found that personalized AI also has a big drawback.
虽然它会根据你的习惯来推荐,但这让你变得更没有变化了。Although it recommends based on your habits, this makes you even less likely to change.
你的选择范围会变得越来越小。Your range of choices will become smaller and smaller.
比如说,如果你以前喜欢吃意大利面,它就会一直给你推荐意大利面。For example, if you liked eating pasta before, it will keep recommending pasta to you.
它不会给你推荐日本菜或者中国菜,因为你以前没选过。It won't recommend Japanese or Chinese food because you haven't chosen them before.
这样一来,你自己就不太可能去尝试新的东西了。In this way, you are unlikely to try new things yourself.
你会变得非常容易被猜到,因为你总是在做重复的事情。You will become very easy to predict because you are always doing repetitive things.
简单来说,普通的AI让我们大家变得一样。Simply put, regular AI makes us all become the same.
而个性化的AI让我们自己变得无聊,不再改变。And personalized AI makes us become boring ourselves, no longer changing.
这两种情况都会导致一个结果,那就是人类的多样性减少了。Both situations lead to one result, which is that human diversity decreases.
我们失去了那种突然想去尝试新事物的冲动。We lose that impulse to suddenly want to try new things.
我们也失去了发现意外惊喜的机会。We also lose the opportunity to discover unexpected surprises.
这种影响不仅仅是在选餐厅这一件事上。This impact is not just on the single matter of choosing a restaurant.
现在,AI在很多方面都在帮我们做决定。Now, AI is helping us make decisions in many aspects.
它决定我们在手机上听什么音乐。It decides what music we listen to on our phones.
它决定我们在视频网站上看什么电影。It decides what movies we watch on video websites.
它甚至决定我们在新闻软件里看到什么新闻。It even decides what news we see in news apps.
如果AI总是给我们推荐那些最安全、最流行的东西,我们会变成什么样?If AI always recommends the safest and most popular things to us, what will we become?
教授认为,这会影响我们的性格和创造力。The professor believes this will affect our personalities and creativity.
创造力往往来自于那些不一样的、奇怪的想法。Creativity often comes from those different, strange ideas.
如果我们只看大家都看的东西,我们就很难有新的想法。If we only look at things everyone else looks at, it is hard for us to have new ideas.
我们就会被限制在一个很小的圈子里。We will be restricted to a very small circle.
这并不意味着我们要完全拒绝使用AI。This doesn't mean we should completely refuse to use AI.
AI确实是一个非常有用的工具,它帮我们解决了很多麻烦。AI is indeed a very useful tool, and it helps us solve many troubles.
但是,教授建议,我们需要更聪明地设计AI。However, the professor suggests that we need to design AI more smartly.
未来的AI不应该只追求效率,只追求最准确。Future AI should not only pursue efficiency and maximum accuracy.
它应该在推荐的时候,故意加一点“随机”的东西。It should intentionally add a bit of "randomness" when making recommendations.
也就是说,它应该偶尔给我们推荐一些我们以前没见过的东西。That is to say, it should occasionally recommend some things we haven't seen before.
即使这个东西可能不是评价最高的,但也值得试一试。Even if this thing might not have the highest rating, it is still worth a try.
就像我们以前去书店买书一样。Just like when we used to go to bookstores to buy books.
有时候你会因为书的名字好听就买了一本,结果发现非常好看。Sometimes you would buy a book just because the title sounded good, and it turned out to be very good.
这种意外的发现,是生活里非常重要的一部分。This kind of accidental discovery is a very important part of life.
在AI的设计中,除了安全和公平,多样性也应该非常重要。In the design of AI, besides safety and fairness, diversity should also be very important.
我们要保护我们的个性,不要让所有的东西都变得一样。We must protect our individuality and not let everything become the same.
所以,下一次当你的AI助手给你推荐“最好的”餐厅时,你可以停下来想一想。So, next time when your AI assistant recommends the "best" restaurant to you, you can stop and think for a moment.
你要问问自己,“最好的”到底是什么意思?You should ask yourself, what does "best" actually mean?
很多时候,“最好的”其实只是“最普通的”或者是“最多人去的”。Many times, "best" is actually just "most ordinary" or "most visited by people."
这并不代表它就是最适合你的,也不代表它是有趣的。This does not mean it is the most suitable for you, nor does it mean it is interesting.
真正的个性化,应该是帮助你发现你自己,而不是限制你。True personalization should be helping you discover yourself, not limiting you.
在这个数字化的时代,效率当然很重要。In this digital age, efficiency is of course very important.
但是,做一个不一样的人,做一个有趣的人,可能更重要。However, being a different person, being an interesting person, might be more important.
也许我们可以试着偶尔不听AI的建议。Perhaps we can try not listening to AI's advice occasionally.
我们可以自己去做一个决定,哪怕这个决定看起来有点冒险。We can make a decision ourselves, even if this decision looks a bit risky.
你可以选一家评分不那么高的餐厅,或者看一部没人知道的电影。You can choose a restaurant with a lower rating or watch a movie no one knows about.
这可能是一个让你重新找回创造力的好办法。This might be a good way for you to rediscover your creativity.
我们要记住,选择的权利在我们自己手里。We must remember that the right to choose is in our own hands.
不要让算法完全决定了你的生活。Do not let algorithms completely decide your life.
去选择那些意想不到的东西吧,去走那些没人走过的路。Go choose those unexpected things, go walk those paths no one has walked.
因为只有这样,我们才能保持我们作为人类的特点。Because only in this way can we maintain our characteristics as humans.
这就是我们要聊的关于AI和选择的话题。This is the topic about AI and choices that we wanted to chat about.
希望你在下次做决定的时候,能想起这个有趣的研究。I hope you can recall this interesting study the next time you make a decision.
保持你的好奇心,多去尝试那些不一样的事物。Keep your curiosity and try those different things more often.